Introduction to Kangding (康定)
Kangding is located in a valley of the Tibetan Plateau about 210 kilometres west-southwest of Chengdu, the provincial capital, and 100 kilometres west of Ya'an. Kangding is in the perfect location for those are on Lhasa & Chengdu tours due to its location. It is a town populated by significant proportions of both Tibetans and Han, and is part of the historical Tibetan region of Kham. A raging river splits the town, thus the constant sound of water emanates throughout much of the town.
The town features a sizable town square where young and old alike gather in the early hours of the morning to do Tai Chi, play badminton, or socialise. This square comes alive on the weekends as well, when families tend to populate it. Traditional Tibetan and Sichuanese restaurants are easily found throughout the town. A Tibetan Buddhist monastery sits on the mountains overlooking the town, and is accessible by cable car. As of October 2006, a stone amphitheatre is under construction at the upper monastery.
Garze Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture, Western Sichuan Province, Southwest of China
Mugecuo Scenic Resort, Gongga Mountain (Hailuogou Glaciers Forest Park), Paoma Mountain
Admission for Mugecuo Mountain:
April 1 to November 30: 105 Yuan, 90 Yuan for sightseeing bus, and another 5 Yuan for insurance
December 1 to Next March 31: 75 Yuan, 90 Yuan for sightseeing bus, and another 5 Yuan for insurance
(At Mugecuo Scenic Area, all tourists are required to buy the combo ticket, which covers the fees for admission, sightseeing bus and insurance.)
Admission for Gongga Mountain:
Hailuogou Glaciers Forest Park: 90 Yuan, 70 Yuan for a sightseeing bus (round-way), and another 150 Yuan for a cable car (round-way).
8:00AM - 6:00PM (Hailuogou Glaciers Forest Park)
8:00AM - 5:00PM (Mugecuo Scenic Resort)
1. Visitors can take flight from Chengdu or Chongqing to Kangding Airport, then take special-line buses from the airport to Kangding.
2. Mugecuo Scenic Area is 26 kilometers from Kangding downtown. Currently, there are no buses running between them. Visitors can only rent a car for a round trip, which may cost around 200 Yuan.
1. Children have to be accompanied by an adult to enter the scenic area.
2. The best time to visit there is in summer, especially in July and August.
3. The weather there changes a lot between day and night, so it is suggested to bring coats even in summer.
4. It is not recommended to visit attractions above during “May 1st” and “October 1st” these two golden vacation weeks. Because at that time, the hotel reservation and transportation around will be in its climax, the price will be much higher than ordinary times.
Tour including Visiting Kangding (Sichuan)
Recommend China Tours
Across Hoh Xil No-Ma...
If there is any place that worth a photographer to travel, Hoh Xil is the best choice. ...
From USD 4463P/P
Mugecuo & Yanzigou 6...
Kangding is the largest city and capital of Garze in western China. On this 6-day tour ...
From USD 702P/P